8 finger tapping

Forums Guitars, Gear, Software & Education 8 finger tapping

Mosjem

Any good 8 finger tapping lessons? In the style of Daniele Gottardo possibly?

I tried to use the search function but I’m too stupid to figure out how it works…:mad::(

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Replies
    billmeedog

@Mosjem 7913 wrote:

Any good 8 finger tapping lessons? In the style of Daniele Gottardo possibly?

(

Hey Mosjem, šŸ™‚

Good luck with Gottyboy’s style! YIKES!!! šŸ˜® šŸ˜‰

~Bill Meehan~ šŸ˜€

Mosjem

Yeah….I will need it.:eek: I’ve been wanting to work on it ever since I saw “cardiology” on the GI finals….

Maybe Jack can give me some tips…..:D

billmeedog

@Mosjem 7919 wrote:

Yeah….I will need it.:eek: I’ve been wanting to work on it ever since I saw “cardiology” on the GI finals….

Maybe Jack can give me some tips…..:D

Hey Mosjem, šŸ™‚

You can do it, if you set your mind to it, right?!? šŸ˜‰ BTW I am so inspired when I see these young musicians (Daniele Gottardo, Jack Gardiner, Lyle Watt, etc.) playing with such incredible passion, grace, and fire (to borrow a phrase from John McLaughlin!) Jeez, when I was Jack’s age, I was quite into athletics, but I had just started playing guitar, and I was worried about executing my next “F-chord” or the intro to “Purple Haze,” NOT note-for-note renditions of “Cardiology” or Sfgoli’s “Andromeda!” Holy &*#%!!! šŸ˜® :rolleyes: šŸ˜Ž

Best of luck with the multi-finger tapping (or as the excellent guitarist for Roger Water’s touring band and Lick Library’s Dave Kilminster refers to it: “Octa-Digit-Doodling!”) šŸ˜€ šŸ˜Ž

~Bill Meehan~ šŸ˜‰

Mosjem

@billmeedog 7928 wrote:

Hey Mosjem, šŸ™‚

You can do it, if you set your mind to it, right?!? šŸ˜‰ BTW I am so inspired when I see these young musicians (Daniele Gottardo, Jack Gardiner, Lyle Watt, etc.) playing with such incredible passion, grace, and fire (to borrow a phrase from John McLaughlin!) Jeez, when I was Jack’s age, I was quite into athletics, but I had just started playing guitar, and I was worried about executing my next “F-chord” or the intro to “Purple Haze,” NOT note-for-note renditions of “Cardiology” or Sfgoli’s “Andromeda!” Holy &*#%!!! šŸ˜® :rolleyes: šŸ˜Ž

Best of luck with the multi-finger tapping (or as the excellent guitarist for Roger Water’s touring band and Lick Library’s Dave Kilminster refers to it: “Octa-Digit-Doodling!”) šŸ˜€ šŸ˜Ž

~Bill Meehan~ šŸ˜‰

I agree with you Bill. It’s amazing how fast kids can get really good nowadays. Gotta love the internet. Hell I didn’t even pick up a guitar until I was damn near 19 so Jack and Lyle have be beat hands down there.

The 8 fingr stuff is gonna be tough. I’m working on it a lot but there isn’t really too much written on this technique. Gottardo has taken this technique to a whole new level IMO. Is it just me or does he almost never use AP in his playing. Great player.
    Another one of my favorites from Guitar Idol is Muris Varajic……incredible technique.:D

Rick…..Did you post an entry for guitar Idol?

Another great tapper is Andy James…..probably my favorite guitarist at the moment. I’ve never seen him do any 8 finger stuff though.:(

Hey guys! Thanks for the mentions and compliments btw!
    I have a basic 8 finger arpeggio pattern on youtube somewhere. It’s just a 4 octave A Major arpeggio, but it shows the linking of the different patterns. A lot of 8 finger tapping is linking string skips/sweeps into their different positions using the tapping hand! My 8 finger stuff at the minute is pretty basic šŸ™
    Daniele’s is ridiculous. But i’m sure he works out all his arpeggios AROUND the chord structure. Seeing as these chord structures are so complex, he can make some wonderful arpeggios sound beautiful.
    Anyway here’s the link to the 4 octave arpeggio mate.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/Jack_Vai/8FingerTappingArpeggioAmajor.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
    Thanks again to both of you guys though! The support is inspiring! I am truly honoured haha! šŸ™‚

Hey mosjem!
    Good to see you are intested in 8 finger tapping! really fun technique to learn.
    I found some lessons weeks ago from a guy call “niels vejiyt”
    Here is the link: http://www.shredacademy.com/artists/n_vejlyt.htm
    hope you enjoy learning =)
    Remember use a dampener!!!

@Jack Gardiner 7940 wrote:

out all his arpeggios AROUND the chord structure. Seeing as these chord structures are so complex, he can make some wonderful arpeggios sound beautiful.
    haha! šŸ™‚

You mean by using the CAGED system?

Not neccesarily, although the CAGED system helps a lot. Daniele told me that one of the first things i should go through is the CAGED system. So i’m sure it’s a good idea to learn that too.
    And be careful with a lot of the 8 finger lessons. A lot of them are simply chromatic exercises!
    Try taking some patterns your familiar with and mix them up with the taps!
    And yes i’d highly advise using a string dampener.
    Although if you can learn to use it without and still have it sounding clean, that’d be even better!

Also for a If you want to see a different approach to tapping I reccomend checking out stanley jordan:)
    And a big tip…
    Don’t get desesperated if you cant do it at first, Its a really hard technique and the only way to get it right is by practicing… alot šŸ™‚

Agreed!!!
    Or check out William Dotto, head of M.M.I. in Treviso am i right? :S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOi05fgBb10&feature=related
    Works with Daniele Gottardo!

@Jack Gardiner 7947 wrote:

Agreed!!!
    Or check out William Dotto, head of M.M.I. in Treviso am i right? :S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOi05fgBb10&feature=related
    Works with Daniele Gottardo!

Spot on mate.
    Those guys over at M.M.I are just form another planet!
    wished I lived in italy šŸ™‚

Mosjem

The technique I am having the hardest time with at the moment is doing rapie pull offs starting with the right hand……like for instance……..15-13-11…..and then just running it up the scale shape from there. The hammer ons aren’t so difficult. I’m used to string skipping so that isn’t that tough either. It’s the pull off’s that are killing me…..especially starting with a pull off. Starting with a hammer on and then doing a pull off afterwards isn’t too difficult either. I’m just taking it slow.

Those arpeggios Daniele does in cardiology…..the first section after the main theme are INSANE…..how the hell does he get those so clean.

I wish Daniele would write some sort of method for his two hand technique. I used to think my tapping chops were decent. Just goes to show that there is ALWAYS someone out there who is light years ahead of you. šŸ™ I’m gonna use it as inspiration…..it’s just gonna be a slow road I think…..I wish I was 15 and had more time……I’m 38 and married with 3 kids……BIG DIFFERENCE. šŸ˜€

BTW….does Daniele use Alternate picking very much…..Yngwie style I mean???

You are right man, for me pull offs are way harder than hammer ons šŸ™‚
    Try buy gottardos stuff on bluesjamtracks.com, its extrmely hard but its a great help
    I know what you mean, I am learning cardiology and that part took me alot of time, but finnaly could play it clean yesterday šŸ™‚

@Mosjem 7949 wrote:

BTW….does Daniele use Alternate picking very much…..Yngwie style I mean???

he does use it… but not as much as yngwie

Mosjem

@Alejandro Osorno 7950 wrote:

You are right man, for me pull offs are way harder than hammer ons šŸ™‚
    Try buy gottardos stuff on bluesjamtracks.com, its extrmely hard but its a great help
    I know what you mean, I am learning cardiology and that part took me alot of time, but finnaly could play it clean yesterday šŸ™‚

I actually did buy the bluesjamtracks cardiology lesson.:D One thing I noticed about it is that the tab is different thand the mp3….I think the tab goes with the video.

I bought a book called “over the top” buy Dave Celantano…..another good 8 finger tapper. I’m working out of this as well. Awhile back I got into chapman stick and the premier chapman stick player……Greg Howard……advocates not using your pinky when playing. I tried this this morning and it worked pretty well. I dunno……basicaly right now I am just doing basic excercises trying to get my right hand to do what my left hand can already do……it’s very frustrating.:mad:

It’ll come though…..just gotta be patient……not one of my strong suits.:D

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.