8 finger tapping

Forums Guitars, Gear, Software & Education 8 finger tapping

Mosjem

Any good 8 finger tapping lessons? In the style of Daniele Gottardo possibly?

I tried to use the search function but I’m too stupid to figure out how it works…:mad::(

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Replies

Daniele has told me that Dave Celantano was his first main influence for the 8 finger tapping! He’s well worth studying. Yes the Cardiology MP3 is the album version and uses the whammy bar a lot too (which Daniele doesn’t tend to use much any more). The tab itself, has a few mistakes in. If you watch my cover version you can see i don’t play it exactly as it’s written. Neither does Daniele. It’s all down to own interpretation. But some of the bends in the score are certainly incorrect =P
    I would suggest building strength in your right hand with the left. A basic exercise is take an arpeggio that uses the 1st and 4th finger. The Scarecrowe Dance by Daniele, is the first 8 finger song i worked out. This utilises a lot of 1-4 and 1-2-4 tapping exercises. This is definately a good foundation. It’s how i started talking with Daniele, after i transcribed a bit of it! I would seriously suggest taking a look at it!
    Your right hand will get there eventually! Don’t worry dude! Keep practicing.

@Mosjem 7953 wrote:

I actually did buy the bluesjamtracks cardiology lesson.:D One thing I noticed about it is that the tab is different thand the mp3….I think the tab goes with the video.

I bought a book called “over the top” buy Dave Celantano…..another good 8 finger tapper. I’m working out of this as well. Awhile back I got into chapman stick and the premier chapman stick player……Greg Howard……advocates not using your pinky when playing. I tried this this morning and it worked pretty well. I dunno……basicaly right now I am just doing basic excercises trying to get my right hand to do what my left hand can already do……it’s very frustrating.:mad:

It’ll come though…..just gotta be patient……not one of my strong suits.:D

As long as you are having fun it dosent matter šŸ™‚
    Also check out guthrie govans book creative guitar 2. I dont have it but have heard marvelous things about it, And there is a section dedicated to 8 finger tapping šŸ˜€
    I also bought the cadiology package and I think you are right… tab goes with the video.

@Jack Gardiner 7954 wrote:

Daniele has told me that Dave Celantano was his first main influence for the 8 finger tapping! He’s well worth studying. Yes the Cardiology MP3 is the album version and uses the whammy bar a lot too (which Daniele doesn’t tend to use much any more). The tab itself, has a few mistakes in. If you watch my cover version you can see i don’t play it exactly as it’s written. Neither does Daniele. It’s all down to own interpretation. But some of the bends in the score are certainly incorrect =P
    I would suggest building strength in your right hand with the left. A basic exercise is take an arpeggio that uses the 1st and 4th finger. The Scarecrowe Dance by Daniele, is the first 8 finger song i worked out. This utilises a lot of 1-4 and 1-2-4 tapping exercises. This is definately a good foundation. It’s how i started talking with Daniele, after i transcribed a bit of it! I would seriously suggest taking a look at it!

Do you still have the scarecrow dance transcription, I want to learn it but Right now I am too lazy to transcribe it by ear =P

@Mosjem 7953 wrote:

I actually did buy the bluesjamtracks cardiology lesson.:D One thing I noticed about it is that the tab is different thand the mp3….I think the tab goes with the video.

I bought a book called “over the top” buy Dave Celantano…..another good 8 finger tapper. I’m working out of this as well. Awhile back I got into chapman stick and the premier chapman stick player……Greg Howard……advocates not using your pinky when playing. I tried this this morning and it worked pretty well. I dunno……basicaly right now I am just doing basic excercises trying to get my right hand to do what my left hand can already do……it’s very frustrating.:mad:

It’ll come though…..just gotta be patient……not one of my strong suits.:D

Can you tell me where to the “over the top” book?:)

I think i have the first lick on photobucket somewhere, but i worked out most of it by ear. http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/Jack_Vai/?action=view&current=CheckwithDaniele.jpg
    The rhythms are wrong but you get the idea! Have fun with it man.

@Jack Gardiner 7958 wrote:

I think i have the first lick on photobucket somewhere, but i worked out most of it by ear. http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/Jack_Vai/?action=view&current=CheckwithDaniele.jpg
    The rhythms are wrong but you get the idea! Have fun with it man.

Thanks alot mate!

Mosjem

@Jack Gardiner 7954 wrote:

That makes A LOT more sense. I was following a long with the tab and the mp3 and there is a part there that it sounds like Daniele was using the tremolo……I was scratching my head thinking…..how the heck does he make that sound without using the tremolo, LOL!!!

I read somewhere that Daniele is going to make a DVD talking about his two handed technique. That would be really cool. I’ll keep working at it. My goal is to get Cardioloy on my youtube page sometime before I die……:D:cool:

Right now I’ve put it aside and am just gonna work on my 8 finger chops…..when I get those up to par then I’ll come back to it. The rest of it I should be able to play…..not like Daniele of course.

I’m workin on “shine on through” by Andy James right now. I did a crappy, sloppy cover of it awhile back. I’m gonna revisit it and clean it up….:D

Keep on tapping Jack…..you are gonna be an amazing talent if you keep it up….:cool:

@Mosjem 7960 wrote:

That makes A LOT more sense. I was following a long with the tab and the mp3 and there is a part there that it sounds like Daniele was using the tremolo……I was scratching my head thinking…..how the heck does he make that sound without using the tremolo, LOL!!!

I read somewhere that Daniele is going to make a DVD talking about his two handed technique. That would be really cool. I’ll keep working at it. My goal is to get Cardioloy on my youtube page sometime before I die……:D:cool:

Right now I’ve put it aside and am just gonna work on my 8 finger chops…..when I get those up to par then I’ll come back to it. The rest of it I should be able to play…..not like Daniele of course.

I’m workin on “shine on through” by Andy James right now. I did a crappy, sloppy cover of it awhile back. I’m gonna revisit it and clean it up….:D

Keep on tapping Jack…..you are gonna be an amazing talent if you keep it up….:cool:

Ahh good stuff hahah! Yes he says he doesn’t like using it anymore (notice on the LIMS videos he bends using the bridge). Yet he uses it in Marrakesh Market?!? Ahh he’s a confusing fellar =P Nevertheless a really nice guy and an amazing player.

Daniele has one DVD out at the minute entitled ‘Il Tapping’. It has a lot of different exercises and arpeggios, and a transcription of Preludio in REminore and Scarecrowe Dance. But it’s all in Italian! I’m sure you’ll have Cardiology up soon mate! It’s not too bad once you get past those first two handed arpeggios (they KILL me off if i mess them up).

Ahh Andy James is a terrifying player. As is Marco Sfogli if you check him out!
    What’s your youtube account man?

And thankyou so so much for the compliment! It’s an honour to have such kind words said about my playing mate! šŸ™‚

hey Mosjem add me to youtube too, My account is “pianomanmty”
    P.S I kinda suck šŸ™‚

Hey mosjem and Jack I founded some lessons in danieles website.
    here is the link: http://www.danielegottardo.com/lesson.htm
    I know spanish( that is relativly close to italian) I can translate it to you if tou want šŸ™‚

Oh yes i forgot about these!!! You can just use google translate!
    I used them a while back. Some are very good. Others are a bit atonal. These are nice basic exercises! Enjoy them. And dude you don’t suck at all! Your playing is very good šŸ™‚

Mosjem

@Alejandro Osorno 7957 wrote:

Can you tell me where to the “over the top” book?:)

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/2869477

hehe thanks!
    But I find google traslations to be bad some time, so if you dont understand something please ask šŸ™‚
    I almost finsish translating it to spanish and now its easier to translate it to english

Mosjem

Andy is a killer player. He is very melodic and not just shredding all the time…..although he shreds PLENTY. šŸ˜€

I’ll add you Alejandro……you don’t suck…..I saw your petruccifever sountrack of summer entry. It was nice…..m/m/.

Jack….how much does a 15 year old kid get to practice every day. I’m probably gonna cry when you tell me the answer……:(

I’m lucky if I get 2 hours daily…..just gotta be super efficient and not get distracted.:D

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.